French sculptor and draughtsman, born at Dun-sur-Meuse. Studied painting in Paris at evening courses in the studio of Robert Lesbounit in 1938, and worked and exhibited for several years with a group of fellow-pupils. Executed frescoes and stained-glass windows for the church of Saint-Jacques at Montrouge 1947-9. Settled in 1949 at Choisy-le-Roi and turned exclusively to sculpture. After making abstract sculptures of a crystalline structure c.1955, his forms became lumpier and more organic, with allusions to armour and the human figure, prehistory, space exploration, etc. First one-man exhibition of sculpture at the Galerie Claude Bernard, Paris, 1962; awarded a David E. Bright Prize at the 1964 Venice Biennale. Since 1963 his work has included life-size, rather Surrealistic figures, sometimes interpenetrating with their surroundings or as it were crushed by them, in a violent or erotic way. Has also made a number of marble carvings at Carrara since 1967. Worked in Berlin as a guest artist 1973-4. Lives at Choisy-le-Roi.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.368