French sculptor, born in Paris. Encouraged and advised by Carpeaux, entered the Petite Ecole in 1852 and then studied from 1854 at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in the studio of Duret. Supported himself by such jobs as working for a bronze-maker, modelling ceramics and bronzes, and for a taxidermist, and later by making decorative sculpture in the French late 17th and early 18th century tradition for the hôtel Paiva in Paris. Implicated in the Commune and had to take refuge in London 1871-80. Exhibited at the Royal Academy 1872-9 and obtained considerable success with his sculptures of intimate domestic subjects such as maternities and women reading, and his portrait busts; also taught modelling at the National Art Training School (now the Royal College of Art) 1877-80. Returned to Paris in 1880. In his later years executed a number of monuments, including the 'Monument to Delacroix' (1884-90) and 'The Triumph of the Republic' (1879-99), commissioned by the City of Paris for the Place de la Nation; also worked from 1889 onwards on an unrealised project of his own for a 'Monument to the Workers'. Died in Paris.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, pp.139-40