Italian sculptor, etcher and lithographer. Born in Bologna, son of a sculptor. Studied under his father and at the Academy of Fine Arts in Bologna. Visited Paris in 1934 on a travelling scholarship. His early work chiefly influenced by Bolognese and Florentine early Renaissance sculpture, Manzù and Arturo Martini, and including reliefs on religious or mythological themes. First one-man exhibition at the 1942 Venice Biennale. Spent six months in 1948 in Paris, where he met Zadkine and Giacometti, and widened his knowledge of contemporary art, then started to make exuberant, rhythmical figures of acrobats, contortionists, girls skipping, dogs, cats, etc. Awarded the City of Venice prize for an Italian sculptor jointly with Mascherini at the 1950 Venice Biennale. Moved in 1951 to Milan, where he began to teach at the Brera Academy. Developed an interest in spatial networks, which culminated c.1956-7 in some semi-abstract, linear works ('Kites', 'Shadows in the Forest', etc.). After taking part in a preliminary competition from 1951 onwards, was commissioned in 1958 to make the fifth door for Milan Cathedral (installed 1965). From 1965 made a series of sculptures inspired by the gas chambers and ovens in concentration camps. Lives in Milan.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, pp.521-2