Italian sculptor, painter, lithographer and etcher of horses and riders, female nudes, dancers and jugglers, and portrait heads. Born in Pistoia. Studied painting and sculpture at Florence Academy, and until 1928 worked mainly as a painter and engraver. Succeeded Arturo Martini in 1929 as professor of sculpture at the Villa Reale School of Art at Monza, near Milan. From 1930 made frequent visits to Paris, where he met Gonzalez, Maillol, Picasso, Braque, Laurens, as well as Campigli, de Chirico and other Italian artists resident there; also travelled to Germany, Holland and England. First one-man exhibition at the Galleria Milano, Milan, 1932. Awarded first prize for sculpture at the 1935 Rome Quadriennale. In 1940 appointed professor at the Brera Academy, Milan. Lived in Switzerland 1943-6, chiefly at Tessin, in contact with Richier, Wotruba and Giacometti. Returned to Milan in 1946. Spent part of 1950 in New York, where his horses and riders began to take on a more dynamic character. Awarded the City of Venice prize for an Italian sculptor at the 1952 Venice Biennale. From 1948 also made many paintings, some very colourful and almost abstract. Died in Viareggio.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.487