Italian sculptor, born at Grottamare. Worked as assistant to his father, a craftsman in wood and cabinet maker, but also began to make sculpture in his spare time. Moved in 1929 to Rome to become a sculptor; attended free courses in drawing at the Academy and made his first portrait heads. Won a national art scholarship in 1932. Most of his early sculptures are wood carvings, with a predilection for windswept, Baroque-like movement and exuberant fantasy. Was encouraged by Arturo Martini, whom he met in 1935. Taught at the Museo Artistico Industriale, Rome, 1937-52. First one-man exhibition at the Galleria La Margherita, Rome, 1943. In the mid 1940s began to make small bronzes of dancers, acrobats, cats, etc. in contorted, rhythmical attitudes, and in 1947 joined the Fronte Nuovo delle Arti. Awarded the City of Venice sculpture prize at the 1954 Venice Biennale. Professor at Florence Academy 1955-9, and at the Academy in Rome 1958. His public commissions include a monument to the Resistance at Ancona made in 1964-5. Lives in Rome.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.218