Austrian sculptor, painter, etcher and lithographer. Born in Linz. Studied architecture at the Graz Polytechnic 1936-8 and fine art at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna 1938-40. Served in the war 1939-45. Taught at the School of Arts and Crafts at Linz 1945-51. Worked as a painter and engraver, then turned to sculpture, first from 1945-51 in wood, then from 1951 in iron. First one-man exhibition at the Galerie der Stadt, Linz, 1951. Moved in 1951 to Vienna, where he worked with Wotruba 1951-4. Visited Greece for six months on a UNESCO grant 1954. Afterwards started to make standing figures in welded iron, with wedge or slab-like forms, and exhibited as a sculptor at the 1960 Venice Biennale. Professor at the Stuttgart Academy of Fine Arts from 1962. Turned in 1967 to painting, with imagery of primeval, embryonic creatures engaged in savage conflict or procreation, and rendered in startling colours; was represented as a painter at the 1976 Venice Biennale. Lives in Stuttgart, Vienna and Tuscany.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.363