- Edward Ardizzone 1900–1979
- Watercolour and ink on paper
- Support: 181 x 187 mm
- Presented by the War Artists Advisory Committee 1946
Not on display
N05673 SOLDIERS HOLDING UP ROSARIES TO BE BLESSED AT A PAPAL AUDIENCE 1944
Inscr. ‘EA.’ b.r.
Watercolour, pen and ink (sight), 7 1/8×7 3/8 (18×19).
Presented by the War Artists' Advisory Committee 1946.
Exh: National War Pictures, R.A., October–November 1945 (789).
Painted in September 1944. The painting records the scene at one of a number of Papal audiences that the Pope gave to English soldiers billeted in or near Rome (letter from the artist, 7 October 1959).
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, I
- work and occupations(14,321)
- religion and belief(8,362)