In 1954 Pauline Vogelpoel joined the Contemporary Art Society, founded in 1910 to promote the collecting of contemporary art. She was appointed its director in 1976, having organised numerous exhibitions including the successful British Painting in the Sixties. In 1982 Vogelpoel moved to Switzerland where she became the Zurich editor of Harpers and Queen magazine. In 1997 she joined the International Council of the Tate Gallery.
This painting, which was given during Vogelpoel’s years at the CAS, is one of many important works presented to Tate by the organisation.