- Painted steel
- Object: 5409 x 2159 x 2445 mm
- Presented by Alistair McAlpine (later Lord McAlpine of West Green) 1970
Michael Bolus b. 1934
T01355 4th Sculpture 1966
Painted aluminium, 21¼ x 85 x 96¼ (54 x 216 x 244.5).
Presented by Alistair McAlpine 1971.
Exh: Junge Generation Grossbritannien, Akademie der Künste, Berlin, April–June 1968 (Michael Bolus 5); The Alistair McAlpine Gift, Tate Gallery, June–August 1971 (17, repr. in colour).
Lit: Richard Morphet, in catalogue of The Alistair McAlpine Gift, 1971, p.61.
‘4th Sculpture’ and ‘5th Sculpture’ (T01356), 1966, are, in plan, equilateral triangles; they are made up of equilateral pyramidal modules which, in order to be distinct from the ground and demonstrably hollow, are cut away in curves along their lower edges (and at their pinnacles in ‘4th Sculpture’). In these and in T01353 and T01354, objects rest emphatically on the ground yet hardly touch it. The concrete forms are imitated by the voids between them. Moreover the form of each sculpture as a whole again implies one or more larger wholes.
Published in The Tate Gallery Report 1970–1972, London 1972.