- Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, Bt 1833–1898
- Graphite on paper
- Support, circular: 224 x 224 mm
- Bequeathed by J.R. Holliday 1927
As well as stained glass for churches, Morris's company provided glass for domestic settings. The studies of heads in this group resemble the format of the stained glass panels Burne-Jones designed for 'The Hill' at Witley in Surrey, the home of the watercolourist Myles Birket Foster. Although the subjects of the drawings have not been firmly established, it is possible that they evoke characters from the history of the Trojan Wars, possibly Helen, Cassandra, and either Achilles or Hector.
Gallery label, September 2004
- work and occupations(14,300)
- religion and belief(8,360)