This is a picture of Old Battersea Bridge, seen from up stream, on Lindsey Row (now Cheyne Walk), with Battersea on the far shore. The boatyard belonging to Greaves family is in the foreground. On the extreme left is the wall surrounding the garden of the artist William Bell Scott. In the far distance Crystal Palace is just visible.
Battersea Bridge was demolished in 1881, and replaced with the present bridge. Before the alterations Greaves recalled the danger to shipping and the difficulty of steering through the arches unless the ‘set of the tide was known’.