T02214 STUDY FOR THE MURAL PAINTING AT CECIL SHARP HOUSE, LONDON c.1950
Wax oil medium, charcoal and wax oil pastel on canvas 43 × 130 15/16 (109.2 × 332.1)
This entry has been corrected and approved by the artist.
In September 1940, Cecil Sharp House, the London headquarters of the English Folk Dance and Song Society, was partially demolished by a bomb which destroyed most of the upper storey and part of the Main Hall of the building. When re-building began, early in 1950, it was decided not to replace the Musicians Gallery, which had been the major decorative feature of the original Main Hall and the Architect, John C. Eastwick-Field friba, proposed a mural as a fitting alternative. Late in 1950, Mr Douglas Kennedy, at that time President of the Society, invited Ivon Hitchens to undertake this work…