T03512 First Study for ‘Toward a New World’ 1934
Plaster, partly stained from the mould 4 1/4 × 3 1/2 × 2 (108 × 89 × 51)
Presented by the Lipchitz Foundation 1982
Lit: Arnason 1969, repr.107 (bronze); Lipchitz 1972, p.132
Arnason reproduces three further studies for this subject, each with two standing figures. A plaster was included in Lipchitz's exhibition at the Galerie Maeght, Paris, in 1946 (58), probably the one which is illustrated in Maurice Raynal, Jacques Lipchitz, 1947 (50 ins. high).
Lipchitz's account points out that the subject was connected with a commission from Russia for a monument to the Russian revolution. He visited his family in Russia in 1935, after his first designs for the monument…