- Steel, aluminium and duralumin
- Object: 415 x 1460 x 1460 mm
- Accepted by HM Government in lieu of inheritance tax and allocated to Tate 2007
Martin adopted abstraction in the late 1940s, constructing his first mobiles in 1951. He was part of a small group reviving pre-war ideas of a non-representational art. This is one of the first in his series of Mobile Reflectors, in which geometrical plates were suspended and balanced from rods. The slightest current of air causes movement so the mobiles are ever changing. Martin referred to his mobiles as ‘drawings in space’ using repeated shapes and complimentary colour combinations, and stated that the resulting shadows were as important as the work itself.
Gallery label, September 2016