Nicholson spent June 1954 in Venice. Here he had a much-admired display of his work in that year's Biennale. This picture is apparently a memory of Torcello, the small island across the Lagoon from Venice famous for its Byzantine mosaics in the Cathedral. However, it is also well known for its fine restaurants, and Nicholson's picture appears to show some goblets and a caraffe on a table top. Still life occupied him throughout his career, just as it had his father. 'Torcello' was painted in St Ives after Nicholson's return from Italy.