- Acrylic paint, ink, photograph on paper, spray paint and oil paint on canvas
- Support: 1702 x 3102 x 41 mm
- Presented by Tate Patrons 2009
Loa incorporates phrases and lyrics from the German techno band Scooter, which Oehlen appropriated in order to evoke atmosphere rather than to offer a specific message. The title derives from the word ‘LOATH’ that appears twice across the top of the painting, in one case obscured by a collaged page from a German black metal magazine. A bar-code and a Spanish text referring to chinaware suggest advertising imagery and product design. Oehlen has referred to his practice as ‘post-non-representational’. Loa is typical of his use of found imagery, collage and text within the frame of painting.
Gallery label, September 2008
- symbols & personifications(7,117)
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,684)
- literature and fiction(3,154)