T03663 View of Harbour - Folkestone c. 1920
Watercolour and pencil on wove cartridge paper 19 1/4 × 29 1/8 (489 × 740)
Watermark J & J.H. Kent
Bequeathed by the artist 1983
This large watercolour has recently been identified as a view of Folkestone harbour. On the left is the harbour wall known as East Head and the headland beyond it is Copt Point. On the right is the end of South Quay. Vivian Pitchforth painted from a point just off the Fish-market, behind the slipway.
The painting can be dated to between 1908 and 1921 from the fishing boat The Bonny Margaret FE67 which was in service between those years, but it seems probable that it was done in the early twenties, after Pitchforth served in the First World War and when he returned to Leeds School of Art to continue his interrupted studies (1913–15, 1918–22). FE64 has been identified as the Britannia built in 1895 and the large vessel in the distance is a frozen meat and passenger ship bound for Fray Bentos in Argentina or for Australia…