T00125 THE PLAINS OF ESDRAELON 1905
Canvas (two equal vertical sections on relining canvas), 28×43 1/2 (71×110·5); a 2 1/2 (6·25) painted strip turned over at top.
Presented by the heirs of Mrs Ormond 1957.
Coll: Miss Emily Sargent until 1936.
Exh: Watercolours by John S. Sargent, R.A., Carfax & Co. Ltd, June 1908 (24), as ‘Plain of Esdraelon’ - oil; 53rd Autumn Exhibition, Liverpool, September–December 1925 (134); R.A., winter, 1926 (517).
Lit: Charteris, 1927, p.297; Mount, 1955, pp.302, 448; Mount, 1957, pp.246, 358.
Repr: Tate Gallery Report 1956–57, 1957, n.p.
The Plains (or Plain) of Esdraelon (Megiddo) in Palestine lie between Harosheth and Haphraim on the north-west and south-east sides, and Legio and Nazareth on the south-west and north-east sides respectively. They extend for approximately twenty miles and are about fifteen miles broad at their widest point. (For details of dating, etc., see T00124.)
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II