In the 1890s Sickert spent most of his summers at the French port of Dieppe, and from 1896 to 1905 he lived there permanently. At that time it was a fashionable holiday resort for English people, and was particularly popular with British artists. In the picture Sickert even shows a barber's sign in English on the right. The Café des Tribunaux was at a focal point of the town, where two roads converge, and was an establishment fashionable with the British. Sickert was committed to imitating French realist and Impressionist tendencies in his painting.