- Graphite and watercolour on paper
- Support: 591 x 464 mm
- Presented by the Trustees of the Chantrey Bequest 1907
N02139 THE SEEDS OF LOVE 1906
Inscr. ‘W.G.Simmonds/1906’ b.l.
Watercolour, 23 3/4×18 3/4 (59×46·5).
Chantrey Purchase from the artist 1907.
Exh: R.A., 1907 (966).
In a letter to the compiler (7 August 1958) the artist explained that the subject was suggested to him by ‘the beauty of the delicate green trunks and branches of the beech trees against the blue sky and the rich Gloucestershire earth. The trees, figures, grass and earth were painted directly into the picture, from nature, at Fairford, but the sheep and lambs, also directly, from a flock in the Eton College playing fields.’
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,684)
- leisure and pastimes(6,747)
- work and occupations(11,718)