In 1939 Spencer moved into the White Hart Inn in the village of Leonard Stanley in Gloucestershire. This is one of at least five landscapes he painted while staying there with his friends the Slade painters George and Daphne Charlton, with whom he stayed for long periods between 1939-41. In the late 1930s, Spencer, painted numerous subjects out of doors, these being more popular at the time than his figure studies. The situation was to change shortly afterwards when he began to work on a major commission at the Port Glasgow Shipyards, as an Official War Artist in the Second World War.
Find similar artworks
Sir Stanley Spencer (63)