N03674 CARDINAL MANNING 1876–86
Inscr. ‘J. Havard Thomas Sc 1886’ on back of left shoulder.
Bronze, 22 1/2×9 1/4×9 5/8 (56·5×23·5×24·5), including circular base, 7 7/8×6 (20×15).
Chantrey Purchase from the Leicester Galleries 1922.
Exh: Carfax & Co., November 1909 (2); Leicester Galleries, April–May 1922 (37).
Lit: Sir George Clausen in exh. cat., Leicester Galleries, April–May 1922, pp.6–7.
This is a bronze cast from the marble exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1876 (1462); the original was later stolen from the artist's studio (information from the artist's family).
Henry Edward Manning (1808–92), the younger son of William Manning, a West India merchant of London, was ordained priest in the Anglican Church, December 1832. He early showed marked ability and became a leader of the High Church party centred on Oxford. He was received into the Roman Catholic Church in 1851 and from 1865 until his death in January 1892 was Archbishop of Westminster. He was enthroned as Cardinal at Rome in 1875. He took a keen interest in primary education, housing and other social problems.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II