View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
- Graphite, watercolour and pen on paper
- Support: 228 x 290 mm
- Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CCCLXIV 280
Arth is situated at the southern end of the Lake of Zug in the valley between the Rigi and the Rossberg. In Turner's depiction, the only building to be clearly distinguished is the seventeenth century parish church of Sts Georg and Zeno, which rises up from the edge of the lake. In the fifth volume of 'Modern Painters', Ruskin suggested that Turner thought of this tranquil morning scene as the contrasting pair to the sunset at Goldau (no.27). The first owner of the finished version of this view was not Ruskin, but Turner's friend and sometime travelling companion, H.A.J.Munro of Novar. During the last decade of Turner's life, the two collectors often competed to acquire his best work.
Gallery label, February 1995