[from] Turner's Annual Tour, 1835: Wanderings by the Seine pub.1835 [T04708-T04726; complete]
Nineteen line-engravings by various engravers, comprising nineteen subjects out of a total of twenty; various sizes; all bearing Turner studio blind stamp
Purchased (Grant-in-Aid) 1986
Prov: Artist's sale, Christie's 23–5 April 1873; ...; N.W. Lott and H.J. Gerrish Ltd, from whom bt by Tate Gallery
Lit: Leitch Ritchie, Turner's Annual Tour: Wanderings by the Seine, 1835; The Rivers of France, 1837 (reprinted with an introduction by Eric Shanes, 1990); Leitch Ritchie, Liber Fluviorum: With a Biographical Sketch by Alaric A. Watts, 1853; M.B. Huish, The Seine and the Loire, 1895; Turner en France, exh. cat., Centre culturel du Marais, Paris 1981
For a discussion of this project, see under T04678-T04697 above. The 1835 volume of Turner's Annual Tour was entitled Wanderings by the Seine from Rouen to the Source. It was also published in London by Longmans as well as by Rittner and Goupil in Paris and A. Asher in Berlin. The volume was dedicated by Charles Heath and A. Asher to ‘Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal of Prussia’.
The engravers responsible for the plates in this group were John Cousen (1804–80), John Smith (c.1798-?), James Tibbetts Willmore (1800–63), William Radclyffe (1783–1855), J. Radclyffe (active 1835), James Baylis Allen (1803–76), Samuel Fisher (active 1830–55), William Miller (1796–1882), Thomas Jeavons (c.1800–67), Thomas Higham (1796–1844) and James Charles Armytage (1802–97).
T04713 Bridge of Meulan engr. J. Cousen, pub.1835
Line-engraving 97 × 134 (3 13/16 × 5 1/4) on India paper laid on wove paper 300 × 437 (11 13/16 × 17 3/16); plate-mark 153 × 227 (6 × 8 15/16)
Engraved inscriptions as for T04709 but with engraver's name given as ‘J. Cousen.’
Lit: Rawlinson II 1913, no.479, first published state
Published: p.120. Original watercolour: Tate Gallery, TB CCLIX 116 (Wilton 1979, no.977).
Tate Gallery: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions 1986-88, London 1996