Joseph Mallord William TurnerChapel-le-Dale: St Leonard's Church, Chapel Beck and Whernside in the Distance 1808

Share this artwork

Artwork details

Artist
Title
Chapel-le-Dale: St Leonard's Church, Chapel Beck and Whernside in the Distance
From Tabley No.1 Sketchbook
Turner Bequest CIII
Date 1808
MediumGraphite on paper
Dimensionssupport: 226 x 295 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D06830
Turner Bequest CIII 1
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Folio 6 Recto:
Chapel-le-Dale: St Leonard’s Church, Chapel Beck and Whernside in the Distance 1808
D06830
Turner Bequest CIII 1
Pencil on off-white wove paper, 226 x 295 mm
Inscribed by Turner in pencil ‘Corn’ lower centre
Inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘1’ bottom right
Stamped in black ‘CIII 1’ bottom right
 
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Finberg’s suggestion of the general locale was presumably based on comparison with folio 12 in this sketchbook (D06834 Turner Bequest CIII 5), a view of Giggleswick on the River Ribble with Ingleborough in the distance. However, it named two features positioned in opposite directions. In fact the drawing shows Chapel-le-Dale looking north towards Whernside; the ‘winding river’ is Chapel Beck which runs south-west into the River Doe. Nestling below the ridge on the right is the tiny St Leonard’s Church, the subject of a larger pencil drawing (Tate D02383: Turner Bequest LI P) and a watercolour (Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut),1 both looking in the other direction towards Ingleborough. A watercolour of Ingleborough is listed by Turner in the Greenwich sketchbook (Tate D06824; Turner Bequest CII 52) as destined for Walter Fawkes.
There are traces of watercolour along the top margin and part of a finger-print in greenish watercolour, lower right.

David Blayney Brown
May 2010

1
Andrew Wilton, The Life and Work of J.M.W. Turner, Fribourg 1979, pp.362–3 no.547, as ‘Patterdale Old Church’.

About this artwork