Not on display
This intricately detailed study was executed by Turner as he stood on the Quai Henri IV at Dieppe. The elegant building with pediment is the Hotel d’Anvers, a townhouse erected in the seventeenth century. It features in Turner’s celebrated oil painting Harbour of Dieppe (Changement de Domicile), exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1825 (Frick Collection, New York).1 Turner has annotated the study with colour notes (a full transcription is given at the start of this record).
Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll, The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner, revised ed., New Haven and London 1984, p.141 no.231.