View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
With the page turned vertically, the upper subject was identified by Ian Warrell; the watermill stands on the north bank of the River Rother south of the village of Fittleworth, about three miles south-east of Petworth, but is much altered. It is also seen in a gouache and pen and ink drawing of the type usually associated with Turner’s 1827 visit to Petworth but perhaps a little earlier (Tate D24606; Turner Bequest CCLIX 41).1 The mill also appears in full-page drawings on folios 23 recto and verso (D18747, D18748).
Below are two views with a church tower beyond a bridge, the first, across the middle of the page, labelled ‘Pulborough’; the village stands north of the River Arun about two miles east of Fittleworth, and Pulborough Bridge is shown . The middle view shows Pulborough Bridge from the south, with St Mary’s Church on the hill beyond (now obscured by trees), while the bottom view shows the bridge from the east. It has since been by-passed by a modern bridge running in parallel immediately to its west. There are further views of it on folio 25 recto and verso (D18751, D18752).
See Ian Warrell in Butlin, Luther and Warrell 1989, pp.118, 123 note 101.
- symbols & personifications(7,229)