View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The drawing was made with the page turned horizontally. Old Wardour Castle, sited on a high wooded slope some four miles south of Fonthill Gifford, dates from the end of the fourteenth century. It was extensively altered by Sir Matthew Arundell, who acquired it in 1570. A large house, built to designs by James Payne in the 1770s, replaced the old castle as Lord Arundell’s principal seat. Another drawing showing the castle is D02195 (Turner Bequest XLVII 18).
For a proposed sequence for the leaves of the disbound Fonthill sketchbook, with this page as folio 18, see the Introduction.
- work and occupations(14,302)