After Joseph Mallord William Turner Hôtel de Ville and Pont d’Arcole 1835

Artwork details

Artist
Title
Hôtel de Ville and Pont d’Arcole
Date 1835
Medium Line engraving on paper
Dimensions Image: 100 x 137 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition Purchased 1986
Reference
T04722
View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Catalogue entry

[from] Turner's Annual Tour, 1835: Wanderings by the Seine pub.1835 [T04708-T04726; complete]

Nineteen line-engravings by various engravers, comprising nineteen subjects out of a total of twenty; various sizes; all bearing Turner studio blind stamp
Purchased (Grant-in-Aid) 1986
Prov: Artist's sale, Christie's 23–5 April 1873; ...; N.W. Lott and H.J. Gerrish Ltd, from whom bt by Tate Gallery
Lit: Leitch Ritchie, Turner's Annual Tour: Wanderings by the Seine, 1835; The Rivers of France, 1837 (reprinted with an introduction by Eric Shanes, 1990); Leitch Ritchie, Liber Fluviorum: With a Biographical Sketch by Alaric A. Watts, 1853; M.B. Huish, The Seine and the Loire, 1895; Turner en France, exh. cat., Centre culturel du Marais, Paris 1981

For a discussion of this project, see under T04678-T04697 above. The 1835 volume of Turner's Annual Tour was entitled Wanderings by the Seine from Rouen to the Source. It was also published in London by Longmans as well as by Rittner and Goupil in Paris and A. Asher in Berlin. The volume was dedicated by Charles Heath and A. Asher to ‘Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal of Prussia’.

The engravers responsible for the plates in this group were John Cousen (1804–80), John Smith (c.1798-?), James Tibbetts Willmore (1800–63), William Radclyffe (1783–1855), J. Radclyffe (active 1835), James Baylis Allen (1803–76), Samuel Fisher (active 1830–55), William Miller (1796–1882), Thomas Jeavons (c.1800–67), Thomas Higham (1796–1844) and James Charles Armytage (1802–97).


T04722 Hôtel de Ville and Pont d'Arcole engr. T. Jeavons, pub.1835

Line-engraving 100 × 137 (3 15/16 × 5 3/8) on India paper laid on wove paper 301 × 436 (11 7/8 × 17 3/16); plate-mark 152 × 230 (6 × 9 1/16)
Engraved inscriptions as for T04709 but with engraver's name given as ‘T. Jeavons.’
Lit: Rawlinson 11 1913, no.488, first published state

Published: p.180. Original watercolour: Tate Gallery, TB CCLIX 119 (Wilton 1979, no.986).

Published in:
Tate Gallery: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions 1986-88, London 1996

About this artwork