The south side of the ruins of Millom Castle, Cumbria, is shown, with its pele tower, serving as a farmhouse, on the left. Holy Trinity Church is on this side of the castle, but beyond the edge of the drawing to the left. Turner’s viewpoint is the churchyard, and he records tracery from the east end of the church towards the bottom left.
There are several other studies of Millom in this sketchbook (D08975, D08976, D08978, D09001; CXXVII 9, 9a, 11, 25a), complementing the distant views in the 1809 Petworth sketchbook (Tate D07534, D07535; Turner Bequest CIX 22, 23), which also includes drawings of the Cumbrian castles at Cockermouth and Egremont; the studies here were presumably made on the same tour. For the situation and history of the castle and adjacent church, see under D08975.
This page is a face of one of the loose bifolio sheets which form the majority of the so-called Sandycombe and Yorkshire sketchbook, along with a few single leaves. The sheets were not bound, but folded inside each other in a sequence which is not entirely recoverable (see the sketchbook’s Introduction for a suggested order). When unfolded, this page is continuous with D08968 (CXXVII 4); the measurements given above are for the present work alone.