View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The Abbey at Neath was a Cistercian (originally Savignac) foundation of the twelfth century. After the Dissolution in the sixteenth century part of the cloisters was converted into a grand residence by Sir Richard Williams. By the eighteenth century the whole complex had become an impressive ruin, part of which was used for copper smelting and casting.
A ‘Monro School’ drawing of part of the ruins of Neath Abbey, ascribed to Turner but possibly by Edward Dayes (1763–1804), is cited by Jenkins;1 it was offered at Christie’s, London, 21 November 2002 (43, reproduced in colour).
Turner’s drawing was made with the page turned vertically.
Jenkins 1975, pp.68–9.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram.