View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
The Upperton Monument was built by the Earl of Egremont as an eye-catcher and prospect tower. The date of its original construction is uncertain but an outline appears in a painting by Thomas Phillips from 1798 (Lord Egremont).1 It was remodelled in a more distinctive form in 1815–16. Turner used it or the rising ground on which it stands for this view.
Christopher Rowell in Christopher Rowell, Ian Warrell and David Blayney Brown, Turner at Petworth, exhibition catalogue, Petworth House, Petworth 2002, p.177, reproduced fig.169