Joseph Mallord William Turner

Remains of Healaugh Priory

1816

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 154 x 97 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D10892
Turner Bequest CXLIV 13 a

Catalogue entry

This is the left half of a double-page spread continued to the right on folio 14 (D10893), opposite, recording the west range of the old manor house at Healaugh Farm East. The view is more or less continued to the right on 14 verso (D10894).
The site of Healaugh Priory is about two miles south of Bilton Hall, the subject of the sketch on the recto (D10891) and folio 12 verso (D10890), on a back road between Healaugh and Tadcaster. Turner was taking in subjects on his journey east from Wetherby towards York, the subject of the following sketches.
The priory was founded for Augustinian canons about 1218, and dissolved in 1535. The church and cloisters were fairly comprehensively erased and the present building, a sixteenth- and seventeenth-century manor house in private ownership, incorporates elements of the original structure.

David Hill
January 2009

Read full Catalogue entry