18. [T03868] Ships bearing up for Anchorage Exh. 1802
known as The Egremont Seapiece
TATE GALLERY AND THE NATIONAL TRUST (LORD EGREMONT COLLECTION) PETWORTH HOUSE
Canvas, 47 × 71 (119·5 × 180·3)
Signed ‘J M W Turner pinx’ lower right
Coll. Bought from Turner by George, third Earl of Egremont (1751–1837) possibly in 1802 at the R.A. but in any case he owned it by 1805 (see below); by descent to the third Lord Leconfield who in 1947 conveyed Petworth to the National Trust; in 1957 the contents of the State Rooms were accepted by the Treasury in part payment of death duties.