View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms
Turner sketches the castle from the island’s rocky shore, looking up to the south-eastern corner. On the left appears part of the southern range, also recorded in the drawing on folios 37 verso–38 recto (D08921, D08922; CXXV 37a–38), the near end of which was rebuilt in the 1870s1 to incorporate twin oriel turrets. The east side was transformed at the same time, most conspicuously by the addition of a cylindrical tower half-embedded in the façade and flanked by two tall clusters of chimneys which now impede the view of the square central church tower shown here. Beyond the island to the lower left is the distant western coastline of Mount’s Bay.
The view is comparable to that shown in an engraving after Clarkson Stanfield, published in 1836 in Stanfield’s Coast Scenery (Tate impression: T05631), by which time a terrace supported by a Gothic arcade had been constructed around the former chapel shown on the right of Turner’s drawing, prior to further Victorian rebuilding.
For Turner’s other views of the site, see under folio 32 recto (D08910; CXXV 31).
Nikolaus Pevsner, Cornwall, The Buildings of England, 2nd ed., revised by Enid Radcliffe, Harmondsworth 1970, p.195.