Joseph Mallord William Turner

The Enderttor and Alte Thorschenke, Cochem, from the East

1839

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 156 x 100 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D28541
Turner Bequest CCXCI 2 a

Catalogue entry

Here Turner shows the Enderttor, a lofty fourteenth-century town gate which defended the city of Cochem from attack via the River Endert. The Enderttor was well known amongst travellers by stagecoach because of its proximity to the Alte Thorschenke, a tavern located to the right of the gate which is identifiable by its half-timbered façade and round gable.1 As Cecilia Powell writes: ‘Turner must surely have been among its customers, probably on more than one occasion, and may indeed have stayed there’.2 Both buildings are recorded again on the folio opposite (Tate D28542; Turner Bequest CCXCI 3).
This pencil sketch formed the basis of a gouache and watercolour drawing on blue paper (Tate D24806; Turner Bequest CCLIX 241). Owing to the colour drawing’s vertical format, it was most likely conceived and executed as a companion to the gouache of St Martin’s Church, Cochem (Tate D20253; Turner Bequest CCXXI T).
1
Powell 1995, p.134–5 no.54.
2
Ibid.
Technical notes:
The leather loop on the inside front cover has stained the sheet.

Alice Rylance-Watson
August 2013

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like