Not on display
Although this sketch is very slight the structure near the bottom right-hand corner of the composition can be identified as the ancient Roman single-arched bridge which stands across the River Guiers Vif on the Voie Sarde (Sardinian Way) near Les Échelles. This historic road which follows the course of a natural canyon in the Chartreuse Mountains and which formed an important part of the trading route between Lyon and Turin, had been renovated during the seventeenth century but was first chartered by the Romans. Until 1860, the bridge marked part of the border between France and Savoy. Turner visited the site as part of his journey east through Savoy to Chambéry and the Mont Cenis pass. For further sketches see folios 70 and 72 (D14106 and D14110).