Joseph Mallord William Turner

The Roman Campagna with Ponte Molle in the Distance

1819

View this artwork by appointment, at Tate Britain's Prints and Drawings Rooms

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite and watercolour on paper
Dimensions
Support: 256 x 404 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D16133
Turner Bequest CLXXXVII 45

Catalogue entry

A large number of studies from the Naples: Rome C. Studies sketchbook represent variant views of the Roman Campagna, the area of countryside encircling the outskirts of the Eternal City (Tate D16122–D16139; Turner Bequest CLXXXVII 34–51). This is one of six such compositions where Turner has developed the landscape in watercolour (see also Tate D16122–D16123, D16129–D16131; Turner Bequest CLXXXVII 34–5, 41–43). The work depicts the River Tiber on the northern outskirts of Rome with the Ponte Molle, an ancient bridge also known as the Ponte Milvio, in the middle distance.1 To the far left is the Monte Mario with the Villa Mellini amidst the trees on the crest of the hill and the Villa Madama positioned half way up the slopes on the side. Turner’s viewpoint appears to be from Monte Parioli, the hill to the west of the Fontana dell’Acqua Acetosa, now the location of the Villa Glori park. A related series of sketches can be found in the St Peter’s sketchbook (see Tate D16217–D16226; Turner Bequest CLXXXVIII 35–40). A couple of these include the unidentified building in the right-hand foreground of this watercolour (see Tate D16219 and D16223; Turner Bequest CLXXXVIII 36a and 38a). Further studies of the Campagna and the Ponte Molle dating from the 1819 Italian tour can be found throughout the Small Roman C. Studies sketchbook (see for example Tate D16464; Turner Bequest CXC 49).
By the nineteenth century, exploration of the city’s environs had become as much part of the Roman experience as its architecture and monuments. Turner’s forays into the Campagna followed a long artistic tradition established during the seventeenth century by Claude Lorrain (circa 1600–1682) and Nicolas Poussin (1594–1665). The two French masters had famously made a number of sketching trips along the banks of the Tiber north of the city; indeed the countryside between the Porta del Popolo and the Ponte Molle had popularly become known as the ‘Promenade de Poussin’. Turner, in particular, admired the work of Claude Lorrain whose paintings such as Landscape near Rome, with a View of the Ponte Molle, 1645 (Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery), combined motifs studied on the spot with an idealised vision of landscape. Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, artists in search of authentic Italian landscape continued to follow the precedent for drawing and painting the Campagna and during the 1820s a small European coterie began to focus on painting in the open air.2 Unlike earlier topographical artists who had focused their depiction of the Campagna on images of selected landmarks, nineteenth century en plein air painters such as Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot (1796–1875) and his contemporaries developed a new approach rooted in empirical observation. Working directly from nature they produced panoramic views of vast barren spaces, deserted except for distant hills and isolated ruins which served to emphasise the grand emptiness of the terrain.
1
For a detailed sketch of the bridge prior to 1805 see William Marlow (1740–1813), Ponte Molle, pencil on paper, Tate T09173.
2
Peter Galassi, Corot in Italy: Open-Air Painting and the Classical-Landscape Tradition, New Haven and London 1991, pp.120–2.
3
Ibid.
4
Letter to John Soane from his son, 15 November 1819, quoted in Cecilia Powell, Turner in the South: Rome, Naples, Florence, New Haven and London 1987, p.50.

Nicola Moorby
March 2009

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like