Joseph Mallord William Turner
View on Clapham Common c.1800–5

Artwork details

View on Clapham Common
Date c.1800–5
Medium Oil paint on wood
Dimensions Support: 321 x 445 mm
Acquisition Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Not on display

Display caption

This view was first exhibited under its present title after Turner’s death. Although there is little to link it to a specific location, a Victorian newspaper report claimed to identify the trees near Clapham Common West Side, but even then the pond had been filled in. The French old master Claude Lorrain’s idealised compositions were a major influence on Turner, particularly in his Liber Studiorum landscape prints a few years later; the screen of trees here may come partly from Claude and partly from nature. Fishing was one of Turner’s favourite pastimes, and appears in numerous paintings and watercolours.

February 2010

About this artwork