Turner scholar David Hill describes this drawing, made with the page turned horizontally, as a ‘quick note’, but despite the evident rapidity of its execution Turner seems to have wanted to preserve a careful record of the appearance of the Round House, a famous modern building designed by John Plaw for a Mr English in 1774. It was bought by John Christian Curwen in 1781 and the island, formerly ‘Great Island’, was renamed ‘Belle Isle’ after Curwen’s wife Isabella. The Round House figures in a pair of views of Belle Isle by Philip James de Loutherbourg (1740–1812), now in the Abbot Hall Art Gallery, Kendal. Claife Heights can be seen rising in the background of Turner’s drawing.
Blank; inscribed by A.J. Finberg in pencil ‘141.56’.