This is probably a finished sketch for a large oil painting which West produced in 1787 for the Audience Chamber at Windsor Castle. It was one of eight pictures recording events from the reign of King Edward III, who founded the Order of the Knights of the Garter in 1348. West painted them between 1786 and 1789. Here, he depicts the scene in St George's chapel, Windsor, when the Order was founded. The King and the Prince of Wales are kneeling on either side of the altar while Queen Pillippa is kneeling to the left.