Olafur Eliasson is an Icelandic-Danish artist who often uses colour and light to make his artwork. He likes using reflections and shadows to play with the way we perceive and interact with the world.
Can you imagine being under this sculpture and being covered in a spectrum of colour?
Eliasson wants people to experience and make art together. Make sure you grab a friend or a family member to make your kaleidoscope.
Ready to make a kaleidoscope?
You will need:
- An empty toilet roll
- Colourful paper
- Mirrored card
- A paper straw
- Felt tip pens or colouring pencils
Let's get started
1. Cover your toilet roll with a sheet of colourful paper
2. Secure the paper with tape
3. Cut 3 pieces of mirrored card the length and width of the tube
4. Slip the mirrored card strips into the tube. Mirrored side facing inward.
5. It should look like a traingle at the end of tube
6. Draw a circle (about 4 inches in diameter) using a mug
7. Cut out the circle using scissors
8. Make a hole in the centre of the circle with a pencil
10. Put the straw through the hole and bend the end