Venezuelan artist resident in Paris. Born in Caracas. Studied at the School of Fine Arts in Caracas 1940-5. Artistic director of the Venezuelan branch of the McCann-Erickson Advertising Agency 1946-55; illustrator for the daily El Nacional of Venezuela 1953-5. First one-man exhibition at the Instituto Venezolano Americano, Caracas, 1947. While living near Barcelona 1955-6, made two visits to Paris and began intensive studies of the physical properties of colour. Opened a studio of visual arts and industrial design in Caracas in 1957. Assistant director of the School of Fine Arts in Caracas and professor of typographical design at the Central University of Venezuela 1958-60. Turned from organic abstract to geometrical forms in 1957 and experimented with unstable images produced by irregular contrasting patterns, colour contrasts, etc. His experiments with changing effects and colour radiation led in 1959 to the creation of his first 'Physichromies'. Moved to Paris in 1960 and associated with Soto, Camargo and other Latin-American artists working there. His later works include some environmental installations. Sole representative of Venezuela in the 1970 Venice Biennale.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, pp.135-5