American sculptor, born in Milwaukee. Moved in 1926 to New York, where he studied at the Art Students League (painting with Max Weber, sculpture with Robert Laurent) 1926-30, the Layton School of Art 1927 and the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design 1928-30. First one-man exhibition at the Eighth Street Playhouse, New York, 1938. Worked as a frame-maker; on WPA sculpture projects; in shipyards during World War II; and in the display industry. In 1949 began teaching part-time to have more time to produce and exhibit sculpture. Taught at Brooklyn Museum Art School 1949-69, Adelphi University, Garden City, New York 1954-69, etc. In the early 1950s made rhythmical semi-abstract figures in metal and wood, then began about 1956 to make welded metal sculptures of a more abstract kind. Has lived since 1971 at Kent, Ohio, where he teaches full-time at Kent State University.
Ronald Alley, Catalogue of the Tate Gallery's Collection of Modern Art other than Works by British Artists, Tate Gallery and Sotheby Parke-Bernet, London 1981, p.395