- William Callow 1812–1908
- Watercolour and graphite on paper
- Support: 337 x 514 mm
- Presented by the artist's widow 1909
Not on display
Callow trained as an engraver and moved to Paris in 1829, where he began to exhibit at the Salon and eventually established a successful practice as a drawing-master to the French nobility.
Callow owned copies of Turner’s England and Wales series which had always been an inspiration to him. In 1841 he left Paris and returned to London, starting afresh and practically unknown. This watercolour of Richmond Castle in Yorkshire was painted on a trip taken in 1843 from Glasgow to London, travelling by coach and stopping at principal towns along the way.
Gallery label, September 2004