The sinuous, tapering form of this sculpture and its green colouring recall Cypress trees, seen widely in southern Europe, from which the work gets its sub-title.
This is a model for a 13 ft (4 m) high piece that Chadwick made for the Regatta Restaurant at the Festival of Britain in 1951. There the sculpture rose from a small garden. He had been commissioned by the architects, Jane Drew and Maxwell Fry, who had seen his early sculptures, such as Stabile
with Mobile Elements (shown to the right).