frame: 330 x 404 x 55 mm
This painting was commissioned in 1815 by the Revd FH Barnwell, a Suffolk antiquary who took a particular interest in the village of Brightwell near Ipswich. It shows the view looking north towards the church and includes, on the right, a farm formed from the outbuildings of the demolished Brightwell Hall. Constable rarely undertook commissions of this kind and the result is unlike any of his other works. It is as small as the oil sketches he made for his own reference, but as highly finished as any of his exhibition pictures.