- Thomas Daniell 1749–1840
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 981 x 1359 mm
frame: 1115 x 1500 x 75 mm
- Purchased 1971
Not on display
Thomas Daniell 1749–1840
T01404 Idgah at Amroha 1810
Inscribed ‘T.DANIELL 1810’ on a stone b.c.
Canvas, 38¿ x 53½ (98 x 136).
Purchased from Dr Maurice Shellim through Mr W.G.Archer (Grant-in- Aid) 1971.
Coll: as for T01403.
Exh: R.A. 1813 (220, as ‘The Eed-gah, a place designed for the performance of solemn festivals by the professors of the Mahomedan religion, near Amrooah, in the Rohilla district, East Indies’).
Lit: Thomas Sutton, The Daniells, 1954, P.45.
The Daniells visited Amroha in the Moradabad district between 20 and 22 March 1789. The idgah seen here is an enclosed area used by Mohammedans for congregational prayer.
Through their paintings, drawings and aquatints (especially Oriental Scenery), the Daniells did much to familiarize the English with this sort of Indian architecture, the influence of which was to culminate in the Royal Pavilion at Brighton.
Published in The Tate Gallery Report 1970–1972, London 1972.