T00029 PIETA 1950
Inscr. ‘R de Maistre’ b.l.
Canvas, 60×45 (152·5×114·5).
Presented by the Rt Hon. R. A. Butler 1955.
Coll: Mrs R. A. Butler 1953.
Exh: Hanover Gallery, April 1953 (3); Whitechapel Art Gallery, May–June 1960 (82, repr.).
The artist wrote (30 January 1956): ‘Studies and projects for the Stations of the Cross were made in France between 1930 and 1938 and continued in London from 1940 onward. The “Pieta” now in the Tate Gallery stems from these studies.... All these are now embodied in “The Stations of the Cross”, a work in progress for the “Long Gallery” which connects the Clergy House with Westminster Cathedral.’ The completed work was installed in November 1956. A smaller version of the ‘Pieta’ was also exhibited at the Hanover Gallery in 1953 (25) and previously in 1950 at the Adams Gallery (16×12 in.; exhibited at the Whitechapel Art Gallery, May–June 1960 (83)). Other individual paintings from this series are the three versions of the ‘Deposition’ in the collections of the late Samuel Courtauld, the late Mrs R. A. Butler, and the British Council.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II