- Barry Flanagan 1941–2009
- Sand and muslin
- Object: 181 x 302 x 302 mm
- Transferred from the Victoria & Albert Museum 1983
Not on display
T03725 SAND MUSLIN 2 1966
Two muslin bags filled with sand, dimensions variable, width about 12 (305)
Transferred from the Victoria and Albert Museum 1983
Prov: Purchased by David Sylvester for the Contemporary Art Society; given by the Society to the Department of Circulation, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1972 (Circ. 38 and 38a-1972)
Exh: Contemporary Art Society. An exhibition of works shortly to be presented to public art galleries in Great Britain and the Commonwealth, Gulbenkian Hall, Royal College of Art, October 1971 (111); Barry Flanagan, Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven, June–July 1977, Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol, July–August 1977, Serpentine Gallery, November 1978–January 1979 (not numbered)
Lit: Catherine Lampert, ‘Notes on Barry Flanagan’, exhibition catalogue, Barry Flanagan, Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven, 1977, n.p.
The sculpture ‘Sand Muslin’ belongs to the Arts Council of Great Britain, and was reproduced as the frontispiece in the Van Abbemuseum catalogue (1977).
Flanagan left St Martin's School of Art in 1966. The catalogue of his exhibition at the Rowan Gallery in August 1966 lists one work made of sand, ‘ring n’, a heap of sand with the top removed. Catherine Lampert (loc.cit.) associates his sand filled bags with the process of casting.
The Tate Gallery 1982-84: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions, London 1986